Monuments in Versilia
The Fortino, which represents the symbol of Forte dei Marmi, is a fortress built in 1788 for the will of the Grand-duke of Tuscany Leopold the 1st (belonging to the Lorena family), in order to promote the urban settlement.
Nowadays this building is situated in a modern urban environment, formed by many streets full of trees that give a relaxant aspect to the town.
Moreover, near to this ancient monument you'll find a beautiful well, dating back to the 18th. Continuing toward the seaside, it’s possible to admire the ancient wharf used to load the big blocks of marble, destined to leave for different destinations; today it is exploited only as a tourist attraction.
The Medicean Palace hosted by the town of Seravezza, is the most important monument in Versilia. It was built for the will of Cosimo 1st in 1561 and was based on a design of the world famous Ammannati.
This buildig presents a simple façade, connected with two quite jutting bodies. Nowadays, on the site of it, the “Museum of the Work and of the popular traditions” has been built, belonging to the historic Versilia, where it is possible to know something interesting about typical marble activities and local culture.
TOWER OF THE CLOCK
The Tower of the clock located in Stazzema, is a Medicean tower built in stone and dating back 1739. Another building made of stone which deserves to be mentioned is the “Fontana Carraia” dating back to the 16th century. To a little distance, you will find the “Sanctuary of the Madonna of the Bell’amore”, a suggestive building which dates from the 17th century, where was discovered an image of the Madonna.
Matilde Tower in Viareggio
The "Matilde tower" is located in Viareggio. It is a fortress edified by the inhabitant of Lucca in the nearby of the port in the 1534.
Moreover, in the fraction of Massaciuccoli, it’s even possible to visit the ruins of some Roman thermal baths, called Baths of Nerone (the famous Roman emperor). A few kilometres far from it, we can find the so called “villa Piaggetta”, a very beautiful villa built in neo–gothic style in which the count Ginori-Lisci very often received Giacomo Puccini.