CHURCHES IN VERSILIA
Chapel of Azzano in Versilia
PARISH OF THE CHAPEL OF AZZANO
The Parish of the Chapel of Azzano is reachable driving trough the way directed to the Monte Altissimo; in the nearby of Azzano we found the chapel, even if the last tract is practicable only walking.
The particularity of this monument is the fact that it is totally made of marble; the façade with its whiteness, boasts a rose window called the "eye of Michelangelo", due to the fact that it is attributed to the famous artist who is supposed to realize it in the 16th century.
In the interior of the church it is possible to admire the three altars of marble dating back to the 17th century; the bell tower in front of the façade, also made of marble, maintains its original aspect till today, in fact it is a quadrangular tower with four double-lancet windows, with the purpose of lightening the extremities of the parish.
The Collegiate Church, built in 1278, has a façade of Romanic origin and a little but precious rose window; the bell-tower (1365) is placed side by side to the left nave and it is surmounted by a little cupola. The interior of the church is divided into three naves with side altars, among which there is the mayor altar, decorated with panels made by the famous artist, Giovanni Battista Stagi in the 1659.
Moreover, there are other operas in this interior that deserve to be mentioned, such as a wood crucifix dating back to the 12th century, standing in the third left altar, the "Madonna del Carmine", that's to say a painting attributed to Marracci and located in the right nave, while, in the left nave, you'll can admire a fresco of the Italian artist Dandini (17th century), representing the "Last Dinner" and at least an ancient organ dating back 16th century, one of the most ancient in Tuscany (not restored).
CHURCH OF S. MICHAEL
The Church of S. Michael was built in the 12th century. The Vincenzo Colonna's monumental organ (1602) it hosts is very interesting, above all cause it is used even today on the occasion of religious concerts.
CHURCH OF S. JACOB AND S. ANDREA
In the Church of S. Jacob and S. Andres, you will admire an aedicule realized by the world-known artist Lorenzo Stagi, and which dates back to the 15th century. In the sacristy it is preserved an interesting silver crux going back to the 14th century.
The Collegiata, built in the 15th century, is the most impressive monument surrounding the fine Dome Square. It is characterized by a bell tower made of red lateritious and situated on a marble basement. Moreover there is the Baptistery dedicated to S. Giacinto, the “Tower of the hours”, the S. Agostino church and the column of the Liberty attributed to Donato Benti and the fountain of Marzocco.
CHURCH OF S. JOHN AND S. FELICITA
The Church of S. John and S. Felicita is the most rich and ancient religious monument in Versilia. It is reachable by car driving through the Sarzanese way outside of Pietrasanta and then turning left in the direction of Val di Castello.
PARISH OF S. STEPHEN TO VALLECCHIA
The Parish of S. Stephen to Vallecchia, a church of early Christian origins, it’s very easy to reach, in fact from Pietrasanta you have to drive trough the way for Seravezza for about 3 km.
PIEVE A ELICI
Church of Pieve a Elici
CHURCH OF S. AMBROGIO AND S. PANTALEONE
The Romanic Church of S. Ambrogio and S. Pantaleone is characterized by an high embattled bell tower. On the façade it is possible to admire a portal in Pisan style. In the interior, which is divided in three naves by the presence of some columns, you'll find some medieval frescos and a marmorean artistic shovel attributed to Riccomani.
DOME OF S. LAURENCE AND BARBARA
The Dome of S. Laurence and Barbara, was built in 1422 and totally rebuilt in the 17th century. The interior is divided into a nave and two side aisles, where it is interesting to remark the fine wealth of the different kinds of marble used for altars, chapels and confessionals.
CHAPEL OF THE SOCCORSO
The Chapel of the Soccorso houses a picture representing the Madonna of the Soccorso, which is very fine, above all due to its gilt frame. In the sacristy it is housed an impressive crucifix made of gilt silver which was attributed to a world–known artist called the "Pollaiolo" (1498).
CHURCH OF S. MARY OF THE ASSUMPTION
The Church of S. Mary of the Assumption (in the nearby of Stazzema), dates back to the 9th century, but in spite of the fact that it was declared a National building, it isn’t nowadays in good conditions (one of the reasons why you should visit it). It’s façade appears in a very simple way and structure, in fact just a marmorean rose window (dating back 16th century) decorates it; however, the interior is much more rich, divided in three naves coming from a series of Gothic-Roman capitals' tradition. Moreover in the presbytery it is housed an altar-piece representing the Madonna of the Assumption attributed to the famous Italian artist Rosselli. The altar (17th century) is finely worked and the organ, dating back 17th century, is a must for all kinds of art-lovers.
CHURCH OF S. ROCCO
The church of S.Rocco encloses many important operas of goldsmith’s art.
CHURCH OF S. NICCOLÒ
The church of S.Niccolò is very well known in this zone for the living crib, that is organized here every year. The church also houses a "Museum of Trades".
CHURCH OF S. MICHEAL
The church of S.Micheal is an example of Romanic art. It has been rebuilt in the original way after its complete destruction in 1944.
The Romanic Church, called the "Badia", was built in the 13th century on the site of an ancient Benedictine convent. Next to the façade we can note the traces of the old embattled stone walls and the interior is divided into three naves with pillars and arches; some of these columns have conserved traces of frescos belonging to the Giottesque school.